Everlast-ARP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

[Guide] How to Roleplay

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Julyan
Admin

[Guide] How to Roleplay Empty
PostSubject: [Guide] How to Roleplay   [Guide] How to Roleplay EmptyMon 14 Jul 2008, 23:21

This is a guide I have written some months ago.
This is a guide for generally RPing, and not only within this particular mode. Enjoy, I hope you'll learn anything.
Ido (Julyan, Leo Sacramoni)

An important rule in Roleplaying: Make it realistic as possible.
Everything must be as realistic as possible, from chewing a bubble gum, until murder.
Murder without a cause, for an instance, isn’t allowed, because in reality nobody kills without a good reason. (And no, I believe Roleplaying a serial killer isn’t allowed here)
'RP' stands for Role Play.
Every person in a Role Play must create himself a character, with a background (Family etc…), and personality.
For example, a French male, that believes in law. Aggressive and impatient. His father was murdered when he was 13, and had to grow up alone with his mother and two little brothers.
The storyline should affect you while playing in the server.
A quote from Wikipedia:

"In roleplaying, participants adopt and act the role of characters, or parts, that may have personalities, motivations, and backgrounds different from their own."
Explanation: In Roleplay, you should create a character that has background and personality, different from your own.
Primary Rules:

You can't Revenge a kill (Revenge kill, RK)
When someone kills you, you should keep playing, but 'die'. Of course, you keep playing, but you should play without knowing your killer, and even treating him that way.
If you are the killer, you will not treat the person you killed as a dead man (No, there aren’t zombies here neither), and if you'll meet him in the street, you will just keep going as if he's a complete stranger to you.
For example, you can meet somebody once, which will kill you for some reason, and in the second time you'll meet him, it will turn out you'll be friends.
If a friend of the dead victim saw the event\someone else saw the event that told about the event to the victim's friends, they are allowed to revenge their friend's death.

Do not kill without a good reason, Roleplay reason (Deathmatch, DM)

There are DM servers around SAMP, which in you can kill every person you see. But this isn’t a DM server.
Here, you don’t kill\hurt anybody without having a good reason, good enough to occur in reality.
For example:
You're going across the street, and a man withdraws a gun, and starts shooting towards you. Since your life are at risk, you are having a good reason to withdraw a weapon and to kill the other man threatening you.
Another example:
A person starts cursing and insulting you. If your character is aggressive, it’s good enough to punch that man once or twice (And not taking a gun, and granting the man ten shiny holes in the stomach).
A third example:
You see a man walks across the street. You have no reason to kill him, or to harm him any way.

You can't use knowledge gained out of character (Metgaming, information from the OOC)
You've read something in the forums? Heard something out of the game? (Vent, Phone, etc…)
You CAN'T use it inside the game, In character. The information you're allowed to use, must come from the character's eyes.
Whenever you see someone's name above his head, you must not use it, since I never saw anyone in real life which has a name flowing above his head. You may call him "Sir", or any way you'd like, until you'll hear his name anyhow (by him telling you, or a friend of his etc)
It includes PMs. If a friend is PMing you for help, you must not come, since your character isn’t a psychic, and can't contact him through telepathy, and you don’t speak with him in character (IC).
Also, you don’t know your friends from real life (OOC) within the game (IC), until you will arrange "RPing scene", which contains a meeting of the two of you under some circumstances.
You must not use bugs for your profit (Bug abuse)
Bugs are any complications with the script, which makes things that shouldn’t happen. In case you can use a bug for your own profit, you wont. If you'll find any bug, you'll report it to the admins.

In this unique type of server, you'll have to register with a real name. No, it doesn’t mean your REAL name, but a name that actually exists, and not a nickname of any sort.
For example: John_Rawyer.
That’s a name that really exists. (John)
The Last name is real. (Rawyer)
Another example: Dark_Shadow
Have you ever heard of a man that his name is like that? I hope not.
It’s a nickname, and not a good name.
Third example: [Snga]John_Rawyer
This tag, for any reason, isn’t allowed.
Fourth example: John
In reality, is there a person with only first name?
This is the way a name should be:
FirstName_LastName.
You use only "_" and not space, since if you'll use space, when you'll login only the first name will be shown.
Of course, the name you will choose should be connected to the character's background. Have you ever met an Italian that his name is "Kong" for an instance?
Other names, such as "Leonardo", are Italian.
Note: Don’t forget that Firstname+Lastname must be less than 16 digits, or else the name will be too long.
In the game, the max that can happen that you'll get Hospital bill. Not worrying about your lives that way, isn’t very realistic.
OOC, IC, and unrealistic things people might do.
What is "OOC", and what is "IC"?
OOC stands for "Out of character"
IC stands for "In character"
OOC is for things that are outside of the character's life, and are in your lives, or generally out of the character.
IC is the character's world. Its personality etc.
For example:
OOC my name is John. Quiet, peaceful, and believes in law. But IC im Tony Ciero, an Italian mob, impatient and violent.
Here's a list of chats:
Normal chat (Clicking on 't' and typing)=IC
Out of character chat (/b before a sentence)=OOC, for example: /b hallo I r god et spelling
Global chat (/o before a sentence)=OOC, for example: /o I r did / me kills everyone, die! This chat will be shown to everyone in case its on.
PM (/PM ID before a sentence)=OOC, for example: /PM 24 lol are you an admin?
Whispering (/w ID before a sentence)=IC, for example: /w 25 Do you know what's the time now?
Talking through a cellphone (/call *number*,/call *****)=IC, for example: /call 1455 , waits till the other player answers the phone by typing /p, "Hello, can I order pizza?"
Note: A conversation costs a minor sum of cash, and other people will be able to hear the conversation as well. To know your phone number (PH), simply check your stats by typing /stats
Action (/ me Action)=IC, for example: / me shakes John's hand
/ me is the most useful command for RPing, and used for pure RPing.
Shouting, Yelling (/s before a sentence)=IC, for example: /s Come here
Note: When you're shouting, the radius of hearing the text will be for a larger distance.

When do you speak in OOC, and when in IC?
When speaking about stuff like ID, admins, server, and things you can't say about yourself (You can't say you're in a 'server' in real life, unless you believe we're living in the matrix), or the things you've done this afternoon in real life, is all under OOC category.
If you want the near area to hear, you use /b.
If you want (And can) that the whole server to hear you, you use /o.
If you want to tell something to a certain person, you use /PM ID

When you talk about stuff that happen in the game, through the character's eyes, with its knowledge, you speak under IC category.
If you want the normal, local chat, just type normally.
If you want to shout, use /s
If you want to whisper, use /w ID
Unrealistic actions.
It happened to me a few times, that I walked across the street, and a random man asked me if I'd like to buy drugs.
Think, how much times in reality people asked you if you'd like drugs\guns?
I've also seen ads such as:
/ad I need guns!
Use your heads again, and think how many times you've seen such ads on TV\Newspaper?
Instead of talking 'clear', in a language that every cop understands easily, you should use "codes" and "nicks" that do not attract attention. For example:
Guns=Toys, Heat
Drugs=Candies, "Things that will chill you out"
If course, you may call them however you'd like. Just make sure it won't be too clear, but that people will understand.

Until a certain person will tell you his name\Other person will tell you the man's name, you wont be able to call him in that name, since you don’t know him.
Till then, you'll be able to call him 'Sir', or any name you'd like.
In case you want to talk about a person you don’t know his name, you don’t know his name, you can write something this style:
"A man with a blue shirt with stripes, jeans, and a scar near his left eye ((John_Alolo))"
The meaning here is to give a description of a certain man (even if his skin doesn’t really looks like the way you've described it), and then writing the name inside "(())" in order to show the text (which is, in this case, the man's name) is OOC.

In case you'd like to speak a foreign language IC, although you don’t know that language in real life (But your character DO know the language), you can do it that way, in case the language is Italian:
"(Italian) Hello, I'm speaking Italian"

For the cops, that gets into chases with criminals
When you see a driver does an illegal action with his car, you should chase him.
If the driver is trying to escape, you'll be able to only identify the car. If the driver will evade, and later on walk across the street, even passing by you (and you'll know him by the name flowing above his head), it would be Metagaming to arrest him, since you haven’t seen his face. (In the chase)
If you see a man commits a crime from far away, and evaded, you will not be able to identify him.
If a man is trying to escape, you don’t draw a gun and shoot his head three times. You suppose to arrest the criminal, not to kill him.
If the criminal is risking your life anyhow, only then you're allowed to draw a gun, and start shooting.
If he's just trying to get away, taze him or beat him a bit with the nightstick, and then arrest him.

For the "tough thugs who hates cops"
You are allowed to hate cops as much as you'd like (even if you're not sure why), but to murder or to beat a cop you'll see only in movies.
In reality, nobody will do more than being rude, so please, be realistic, and not deep inside films.
In reality, the murder of a cop is a very serious offense.
Instead, it would be much more realistic to 'give them some papers'(papers=cash), and to end the situation while both sides are happy.
An example for a situation such as this:
A cop tells a certain man to pull over, and walks by the man's window
Cop: Can I see your licenses?
Man: Oh, my licenses? Just a second.
Man: / me Searches the car for licenses
Man: Damit, I forgot them at home again!
Man: / me Takes some cash and puts it in the *cop's name* pocket
*The man now writes the command for paying money*
Cop: Sure, I understand, have a nice day!
Man: Good bye!
Note for cops: You better take those "papers" from time to time, and by doing so, increasing the RP level of the whole server. It's better than those persons decide that bullets cost less, and will act unrealistically, and will try to kill you. Believe me, people in real life aren’t saints, and cops are usually not getting paid well. They also prefer not to take risks on their own lives.

For the "kidnappers" and "robbers"
In reality, not every guy that offers you a ride will bring you to a dark valley, and will try to rob you. Please, find a decent job to gain cash.

Ban
Being banned from a server means you can't log in it with the character you got banned with.
It doesn’t mean that you can't open a new character.
Usually, the person that got banned for passing the rules will claim, as most humans that he's not guilty and it’s the other side's fault-the admin's, and of course he's fine and they're not.
My advice to those who got banned is instead of rebelling, and claiming it’s the admin's fault, to try to understand his mistakes, to open a new character, and to try RPing better.
Not always the fault is on the other side.
If you got banned, and you couldn’t understand why although you've thought over it for a lot of times, simply ask an admin and ask an explanation.
When they give you explanation, try to understand it, and not just disagreeing and arguing with the admins, threatening, cursing, and justify your ban.
That’s the end of the guide. I hope you've learnt something, enjoy RPing.
Back to top Go down

[Guide] How to Roleplay
Page 1 of 1